View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #27
lintcollector

Angry Re: Noob with a daughters project

Got a few things done, then or maybe

We bled the brakes, put on the driver side wheel well cover, followed by the driver side fender. We added the air filter housing and things were getting better. Heck, we even installed the power steering reservoir and filled it, finding out that turning Bernie was easier, no weight training class for Goose after all. She even adjusted the starter wires so they weren't resting on the manifold.

Name:  20190901 Fender.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  61.3 KB
Name:  20190901 Wheelwell.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  61.9 KB

Now that it was looking more like a truck, we decided to run up to a friends house who's helped a bit with the carburetor and is restoring an alfa romero. We pulled up and honked, showing the success of Saturday's work. His daughters came out excited to see Bernie and he came out. We finished our chat and went to pull away, and we may have peeled out a bit, then Bernie died.

There was NO power making it to the starter. We both poked and prodded, then I went to go under the truck. I haven't been under it since getting the exhaust system, so I went to take a look at the starter wires she adjusted. I literally heard a "sizzle sizzle" and then pain to my ear started. I just cooked the top of my ear on the exhaust pipes. Welcome 3rd degree burn.
Name:  20190901 3rd degree.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  61.0 KB

That was not cool, but I had it confirmed my fat head doesn't fit under the truck as well when it's not jacked up. They helped push the truck back and I couldn't find anything causing the issue. I checked the starter and the wiring was ok, but one of the starter bolts was a bit loose, so maybe it was a good thing the truck died?

I chased spark for a while, and believe I isolated it to the Neutral Safety Switch. That little "gem" had issues in June, but I played chemist and cleaned it up well, or so I assumed. I think it's now officially dead.
Name:  201806 NSS Dirty.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  91.0 KB Name:  201806 NSS Clean.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  59.0 KB

I ordered a new one and Amazon will have it to me on Wednesday, so I hope that it'll start up then.

See my build thread here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771552
lintcollector is offline   Reply With Quote