View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #158
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

Here are a couple of before shots of the frame and area that I wanted to clean up and paint before putting all the front sheet metal back on. Boy is that a chore to get 50 years of gunk and dirt off. I did the best I could do with the products and tools available in the garage and hoped that whatever I did would be better than the way it was.

Anyways i started off with using a needle scaler I bought about a year or so ago and that really did a good job of getting the caked on oil and dirt in a few places. Used several different sizes if wire brushes on handles and about 6 buckets of Simple green mixed with water for scrubbing. Once I thought I was close I went over one more time with Oil Eater solution, rinsed with water then wiped everything down with wax and grease remover. Shot a coat or two of Rust Reformer and then two coats of TEC Chassis Black. The finish came out nice and has a satin sheen which is what i was shooting for.

Did not do the springs since I already have 2.5 lift springs that will go in next, will clean up the axles and steering and shoot with the same as frame rails. When I was pulling off the crossmember i noticed a few cracks in the metal and the back tab ear was broken off so I will do some metal repair and prep it to paint also. Also was able to expose the vin and it matches the truck so that is always a good thing.

Overall I am pleased with how it turned out and it will work good for this application. Next up will be spraying the core support and inner wells.
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote