View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
landarts
landarts

Re: Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500

After rebuilding the carburetor and reinstalling I needed to replace any rubber fuel lines. They were hard and brittle, replaced short section from metal feed line to carburetor. Replaced the ones under the truck on the electric fuel pump and the plastic fuel filter. Now to address the sticking solenoid on the starter. I removed the starter and removed and replaced the solenoid from Napa auto. Reinstalled the starter and nothing. OK now I am starting think I am going backwards on the project. Played around with a few things and still nothing. Starting to think it possible I got a bad solenoid out of the box. Instead of wasting time i removed the starter and headed back to Napa auto, had it tested and yes the solenoid was bad out of the box. They also tested to see if the starter itself was any good, testing was conclusive that there were problems with the starter also. Napa refunded the $20 for the solenoid and charged me an additional $30 for a new starter.

After getting home and installing the starter, tried to start the truck again and nothing not even a click. Well now I felt like I was really going backwards, and starting to get frustrated. So its time to take a time out here and get some lunch. During lunch I was thinking of what it could be, what have I done to make things change or what have I seen that might be a possible reason I am not getting power to anything.

Went back out and started at the battery, the cables were side mount and one of the cables bolts was having a hard time making a solid connection so i had another battery that is top post style. Changed out the battery and installed two new battery cables that I had that were also top mount. Removed all wires from junction and clean them up. Noticed one of the wires that carries power from the junction on the fender back across the radiator support was bare in some spots and corroded. Pull all of those wires out and inspected, cut back the power wire and replace with the same size wire and reattached. Turned the key and everything worked and the truck started right up. Getting closer to wrapping #1 on the list (1.Get it running if the motor is good and all system that support it are working properly).
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote