View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
highwinger

Re: 69 burb rear ac relay

I spent Fri evening, all day Sat and Sun morning fixing this A/C relay problem. I surely didn't expect it to take that long, but it runs on hi now. Being in FL, hi is the only useful setting.

In troubleshooting, I found the hot wire wasn't connected and I couldn't figure out where the other end was so ultimately, I had to run a new power line to the relay. The toughest part was getting it down the rear pillar. Something in there was stopping me from fishing the wire down or up. I ended up clipping the tail light cable and used it to pull through the new wire. I wasn't happy about it, but it worked.

The attached schematic closely represent the setup except I'm not sure if the part on the right is a compressor switch or some sort of temp sensor. It has a wire that runs on the output side of the evap coils which isn't shown in the schematic.

Unfortunately, I have a little condensate drip from the passenger side drain tube where it mates to the plastic plenum. I'm not sure if the plenum actually channels the water to the tube or if I disconnected the tube somehow. It doesn't pull out of the plenum. Anyone have experience with this? I'm not looking forward to opening that back up, especially since I could never really get to that area.

Like others have said, the rear AC works ok. It doesn't freeze you out by any means. There's enough heat from the firewall at highway speed to almost negate the AC. Primarily, I will use it sparingly like on the highway to reduce the wind noise and during the rain when I have to put the windows up. So, it'll do. After I get the other little things done and find a spare $800 lying around, I might go for a front aftermarket AC system.

Thanks for the help & the links.
Attached Images

highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote