View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Wizit247

Re: Wizit's bagged 60 gmc build

A guy local to me had a 60 Shortbed frame that had been modified with the X cut out and a later crossmember installed and a 63+ front end with drop springs. I got it and a 12 bolt rear from him for $200. We were already planning on cutting down to a shortbox so this was perfect.

Saturday my brother and I got the frame in the garage.

First we cut the bottom of the crossmember and patched it in. I just laid a level across the frame rails and marked the crossmember.

We added some gussets and some exhaust pass throughs.

Started on the rear notch. The 60-62 frame doesnt have the jog in it like the later frames do so I just drew up a notch and cut it on one of our plasma tables at work.

Prepping for the notch. Thats my brother grinding.

Getting everything mocked up and tacked in.

Pancaked the front crossmember 2" and somehow didnt take a picture of the finished product.

We set the front end on it just to get a peek at what it was going to look like.
Not bad for a days work.

we are still about 2.5" from laying frame. Theres no drop blocks in the rear and the upper balljoints were maxed out.
Im planning on building tube trailing arms with integrated blocks similar to the PB ones. The front I think I will Pie cut the upper arms and see where that gets me. Im trying to avoid drop spindles becasue this build is on a very very slim budget.

The tires were deflated in this pic to get it to lay frame.