View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #34
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Re: 72afr's '72 Short Step

After a pause for a few months, I re-engaged this weekend. First needing to get into the attic access directly above the currently immobile truck, I put the tires back on to push it partially out of the garage Friday night. First pic is the new tires. I'm loving the update.

Saturday, my dad came up and we started dropping the tank and striping the fuel lines and pump. Due to kinks in the hoses leading into the tank (which used to cause extremely slow fill-ups, we couldn't get a siphon hose into the tank. The next course of action was to either drill a hole in the tank and siphon or just lower with a jack. Going with option two, we started disconnecting lines and mounts only to realize the tank was mostly empty. Like 1/2 a quart of fluid in it. Knowing my gas gauge was inoperable the last time I drove it, I'm 99% certain I topped it off before I parked it (for good apparently). The gas cap seal had a crack in it, so we're assuming the fuel evaporated out. What was left in the tank was a black/green fluid. I'll post a picture later if there's any interest, but even after leaving to settle for 24hrs, the black/green mixture was still homogenous. Fairly certain the sending unit has been clogged with whatever this is, rendering it inop.

Yesterday, we got new fuel lines, pump and steel tank installed. Only needing one additional filler hose as the old ones were hard as a rock, which will be installed this evening. Installed new fender emblems, new stainless chains, new door handles and wired up the new marker light at the filler. Definitely a full weekend of truck stuff as we reminisced about working on the same things 20 years earlier.
Attached Images

2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote