View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 01:42 AM   #5
Norcal_Mike

Re: 64 C10 - need bent track bar

Chris, Thanks for the info, it was driving me nuts all day and I couldn’t find my assembly manual to verify the mount locations. Now it makes sense as I found a pic of a stock 64 diff.

I’m going to go option 1 as you suggested, been looking at CPP Deluxe bar. I think that should work without having to add another bracket and it looks like the 64 bracket has studs into the bed cross member.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Ok, so you've got the same dilemma that I had with my 63. The 63-64 axle has a stand off the passenger axle tube that the bar mounts to, and therefore, the mount on the frame side has a different angle than the 65-72 frames.

How to remedy the situation? There's a couple ways.

1) You could get an aftermarket bar that goes from the frame rail to the passenger trailing arm.
2) You could put a little heat to the new adjustable bar and bend it to fit what you have now.
3) You could change the mount at the frame to the 65-72 mount to get the angle that matches your current axle.
4) You could force the bar into place, torque it down, and it'll probably be fine, but will probably wear out the bushings faster than normal.

So what did I do? Well, I chose option 4 because I didn't know any better at the time. That was about 4 years ago, I think, and it hasn't come loose since. I do want to change it though, so I have acquired the 65-72 frame side, just waiting on the next time I have to pull the bed off before I make the swap.
Norcal_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote