View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #19
Tempest67

Re: 51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale

OK, I have the cab on the frame, the drivetrain in place, and the front sheet metal mocked in place (I will cover the rad cradle in another post)

Time for the box, rear fenders and the running boards.

Here is my design for the running boards. I'm not sure why, but I wanted them to be removeable...maybe that is because I could move them if I put them in the wrong place, ... or so I could take them off and work under the truck more easily... ??

First, I removed the middle support from the underside of the running boards.

Then, I ripped a 3x2 rectagular steel tube length ways so I ended up with 2 'L' shaped pieces that ran the entire length of the running board - and welded it in place (I ran a 4 inch seam every foot or so, and the ends)

Then I made 4 braces out of square tubing, and added gussets to each brace, and drilled 2, 1/2 holes in the vertical part of each brace.

Then, with square tubing 1 size larger , (the square tube used on the running boards fits into this square tubing) I made 4 pieces, drilled 2 holes in each piece to match the holes in the running boards, and notched each brace to accept the gusset......make sense?

I then attached the rear of the running board to the front of the rear fender, placed a jack under the front of the running board, and raised it til the gap between the boards and the cab was parallel/even, and I tacked on the outer square tube to the frame.

Now, if I want to remove the running boards, it's 3 bolts at the rear fender, and 4 bolts through the brackets, and the running board drops down.

In the pics, the brackets are only tacked in place, I will seam weld them when the cab is removed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tempest67; 12-16-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote