View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #230
RckyMntnKng

Re: My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4

Is what safe?

The transfer tank is no different than any other found in trucks today...or the ones behind the back seat in the cab stock on the pickups of this era. The aux tank is vented, as well as the boat side cap, about 8" apart literally inside the body panels and also to the charcoal filter. Without Doors or a top i doubt any fumes build up. There are no wires to melt in the area - just a gravity tube safer in the cab than anywhere under the body lol. The truck burns 15 gallons in a couple hours of running anyway so that tank is usually empty lmao

If you meant the intake, it sucks air from the cab, rather than discharging fumes, heat etc....nothing to get melted from cooler than underhood temp air coming in. I rerouted all the wires from the picture to alleviate restrictions to the air movement. The stock Foot/flap vents bring in more stinky under hood air than the intake thats for sure. I thought of a snorkel first, but anything that hangs on the body on the outside would get removed unwillingly by a tree or rock on the first trip. Getting it higher may or may not be usefull - any water at that elevation would be above the distributor, in my lap, and ripping the radiator fan apart. Its pretty nice to see if the water level is safe for your intake from the driver seat as well. 99% of the benefit will come from not getting repeatedly spashed and sprayed when punching through mud holes or the river.

I left it dual use and will use stock underhood cleaner on everything except crossing days.

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 08-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.
RckyMntnKng is offline   Reply With Quote