View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #831
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Storage Area

After moving the gas tank from behind the seat
What do you do with the open area now?

The area is somewhat small, not flat, and almost anything that you put back there slides side to side or finds its way under the seat or in the sloped corner areas. I’ve been looking at this area for some time and wondering what I could do?

I didn’t want to drill any additional holes in the cab, just use existing fastener holes. I did make a small bracket to mount the small air compressor for my air shocks in the passenger side sloped area that I did some time ago on the build, I’m not going to change the compressor bracket and is the reason the bracket/frame I designed does not go all the way over to the passenger side corner. I’m primarily going to use the boxes I made for tie down straps, trailer hitch ball, and scissor jack storage.

Material I used to make the bracket/frame and boxes
2 inch X 1/8 inch Aluminum bar for forward bracket/frame legs and brace between forward and aft angles
1 inch X 1 inch X 1/8 thick Aluminum angle for forward edge of bracket/frame and corners of the boxes
1.5 inch X 1.5 inch X 1/8 thick Aluminum angle for aft edge of bracket/frame and aft legs
.025 thick Aluminum sheet for the boxes
3/16 blind rivets 1/8 & ¼ inch grip length
¼ - 20 X 1 inch bolts and rivnuts for box mounting bolts to bracket/frame
5/16 – 18 X 1 inch bolts for mounting bolts to floor (old gas tank lower fastener holes)
¼ inch thick rubber for cushion on aft legs
I had some tool box liner mat that I put in the bottom of the boxes to minimize any rattling and sliding in the boxes

I’m not going to give any exact measurements concerning the bracket/frame or boxes. Because each truck could be a little different plus different seats that could be used. It’s kind of build to fit your needs bracket/frame and boxes. So if you like the concept and want to make your own you will need to break out your tape measure and build to your truck (smile).

Here are some pictures of the bracket/frame and boxes from different angles out of the truck.

Name:  storage area 1.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  91.3 KB

Best pictures I could get with the bracket/frame installed, seat moved forward for access and viewing.

Name:  storage area 2.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  storage area 3.jpg
Views: 2594
Size:  98.1 KB

Best pictures I could get with the boxes installed on the bracket/frame, seat moved all the way aft to its normal driving location.

Name:  storage area 4.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  storage area 5.jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  81.0 KB

Enjoy your build