View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
Black66C20

Re: Hi Y'all - New Member, Old 8 Lug Restomod

One of the first things I noticed was how LOW the gearing was on this thing - I think it has 4.56 rear gears and the 400 was screaming down country roads with the muncie 4 speed - So I bought a Novaks adapter plate and found a 2wd 1997 Jeep Cherokee AX15 gear box at a junkyard to mount behind the sbc...I needed a new clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel anyways so that all got swapped out at the same time(PO did not put on a weighted flywheel and there was a pretty significant shake to it due to the imbalance of the externally balanced 400). While I was doing the swap I found that my exhaust was pretty rotted from the exhaust manifold back - so I bought larger diamater ramhorns and had a shop build a true dual exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires on an angle. The starter presented an issue for the duals' pipe routing, so it was replaced by a high torque mini starter, as well. While she was getting a tune up she also got a new battery, alternator and regulator (my battery randomly started boiling) and plus, wires and a distributor to smooth out a miss. I noticed some cab mounts were in bad shape and replaced them as well - I replaced them with C10 style cab mounts from the same year instead of the shear style of the C20's.

Sorry I'm missing so many pictures of the steps guys - this was in the early days of work when I thought I wouldn't do much with the truck.
Attached Images

Black66C20 is offline   Reply With Quote