View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
BigTopGT

All new brake system: rears lock up and drag with weight in bed?

I'm not really sure where to look, at this point, but I'm beyond frustrated.

About 3 months ago I picked up a 71 LWB (350/350 auto) and on the test drive quickly realized the brakes went to the floor and there was almost no stopping power at all.

So, I YOLO'd it home 2 hours (all back roads or long, open highways across the middle of Florida) with the expectation of making it my daily driver. In the process of getting her to DD status, it took about a month to finally give up on the brakes and replace everything with new.

So, now it's got a Wilwood 4poston disc front, Wilwood 2.5" Drop spindles with a 1" CPP spring, Belltech shocks, Wilwood master cylinder, Wilwood proportioning valve, chrome double hump booster, stainless front lines, etc... And out back, I replaced the stock drums, wheel cylinders, soft lines, shoes, 5 inch springs, and matching shocks.

The only thing left from the original system is the hard lines.

So, with all that, the truck stops great, but ONLY if there's no weight in the bed.

The SECOND I throw even a few hundred pounds back there, and as soon as you hit the brakes, the rears lock up and eventually drag until they decide to release. (discovered this with a friend's 5.3 LS long block in the bed)

I'm not sure what to do after spending several thousand dollars on brakes, but the real concern here is it definitely can't tow even a small trailer, so I'm super frustrated.

If anyone has some tips as to where to look, I'm all ears and entirely appreciative.

Thanks!!! ��
Attached Images

BigTopGT is offline   Reply With Quote