View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 AM   #68
washington blue

Re: norms 55 chevy pu build

Hi one wing angel, I have several pictures of what I have done and will post them. The first thing to do is absolutely make sure your frame is square as dsraven has said. Read his advice it is very good. In this picture which I posted before it is easy to make sure the back half of the frame is square if your box is off. The right side and left side of these frames almost mirror each other and they are very accurately built. Just pick a rivet or hole that matches a rivet or hole on the opposite rail and X measure to check for straightness. I like to see the measurements 1/16 or less in variance. There can be some slight differences in rivet heads which can throw your measurements off a little so be sure to check each rivet when measuring for slight differences. I measured back to the inside frame corners which are nice and sharp and square, ( they really scratch your legs if you walk past too quickly) the tapes are just set there for show and are not precisely in place. In the second picture at the very bottom you can see the handle of a screw driver, I have that stuck into a factory reference hole which I used for a measure location a lot. There is a matching hole on the drier side just in front of the E brake mount. I X measured and front to rear measured from these holes to be sure the front half of the frame was square, then I measured back from this hole to get the one inch tubing square. I also made sure the square tubing was perfectly centered from side to side with a caliper because I planned to use the 2 ends of that square tubing for reference points to do lots of measuring. That 1 inch square tubing had to be perfectly square and centered, it is in my mind very important. Also a plumb bob and marks on the floor work well in the measuring process, I put tape on the floor and made marks on the tape since my floor is kind of rough ( it was once a hog house). In the third picture you can see my plumb bob string and if you look hard you can see green tape on the floor with an x on it. Be sure to center the string or it will throw measurements off if both sides are not plumbed exactly the same.
Attached Images

washington blue is offline   Reply With Quote