View Single Post
Old 10-18-2022, 05:50 AM   #333
mr.mud1

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I put a cover on that steering wheel and perhaps will never see rim again. Great news today, the exhaust guy came over, super nice, all he's ever done is operate wrecking yards and restorations. Very cool, he drives old Toyota Pick-ups with points, and "they're not avail. because I own them all" Anyway, heads up, he's calling soon and this will be one of his last jobs. He's never paid into SS, so at 52 will be driving semitrucks, they'll be lucky to have him.

He's going to custom build the exhaust system. He suggests 2.5 pipes front and back. Correct me if mistaken, I think the old ones were 2.5" fronts and 2" rear. Guess I shouldn't have sold the old set for cheap huh? Nobody sells a kit for this frame, but he doesn't need them. He says many replacements don't fit anyway. He plans to search for mufflers as well, at the moment I like the Flowmaster 70.

Battery on order, someday, months on months? Upholstery due December? so installed the old bench, actually looks nice short butt deterioration. Windows? Heck I don't know, plan to call them today, no doubt back-ordered, covid-style.

Less some of that and a couple hours on my part she's ready to roll.
hi Tony,you're right,the original front pipes were 2 1/2 and 2 inch tailpipes.i had my tailpipes made with 2 1/4 and of course 2 1/4 outlet Walker mufflers.i always use steel donut gaskets,especially on the big blocks rather than the fiber type.they never seem to stay tight but the steel gaskets do.take care.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote