View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #841
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Howdy Richard,
I thought that 68 frames came dimpled for power steering from the factory. My understanding is 67's came with power assist cylinders and not a true power steering box which 68 and up did. Nonetheless whether or not I am correct about that it wasn't a big job to add the required clearance to the frame.

It took me 15 minues to clean the frame before heating it with a small Rosebud on my torch. Then another 15 minutes to massage it into shape. Add another 10 minutes to paint and spread anti-sieze and check the fit. There was one spot near the top of the frame that needed a bit more massaging to be clear. I then hit it with a 80 grit 1 1/2" Rollock pad to remove the peen marks from the hammer. Once again with the Rollock disk 150 grit this time to remove the 80 grit scuffs and then paint. About 1 3/4 hour in total to do it.

My comments about the wrong hammer had to do with the ball end of the hammer I was using. I would have liked to have a hammer with a face with the same radius of the dimple I wanted to make. The ball on the hammer I used was too small. The other hammers I have that had a close match to the radius were too small and had no weight to assist in the tender massaging of the frame, requiring much more heat to get the dimple I desired. The rest of the collection of hammers had too much B in BFH for the space involved.
Okay that's enough hammer talk.

During the fit up tests I noticed the box hit the corner of core support so I added some clearance there.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote