View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 11:12 PM   #362
mechanixman

Re: 1952 1 Ton Rebuild

The backside of the foam was cut 1" longer than necessary for the back of the cab. This is done so the foam can be cut out and the vinyl wrapped around the edge. Their website has a little tutorial on how to do it. I only did it for the back adge as that seemed like it would be the most visible. A few coats of adhesive were applied to the foam, and a coat or two were applied to the roof. Normally you would wait till both surfaces were tacky, but I tried to stick them together while they were as wet as possible; so that maybe I would have a chance of sliding it around if it didn't line up perfect. Just FYI: The two surfaces still ended up being tacky considering I was using one can to spray 16 sqft at once. The girlfriend and I practiced installing it before using the glue several times to make sure we wouldn't get bubbles/wrinkles. A couple used aerosol cans made for a good roller to smooth out the foam too.

Next step was to finally make some door panels. I bought the stainless trim a year or two ago, but I never bought the cardboard insert...until last week. The reason i finally got around to it was the nice folks at Tractor Interior Upholstery were willing to sell just the vinyl so that I could make my own door panels.

I glued the vinyl to the backs of the cardboard inserts because the "fronts" were textured and I wanted a smooth surface to glue to. Fortunately, the pieces are mirrored so that didn't make any difference. Here I cut the vinyl big, glued it to the cardboard, then trimmed the excess off/cut the holes out.

Same story as the roof, except we let both pieces get really tacky before sticking them together. A rolling pin made this one real easy to put together.
Attached Images

mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote