View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #19
68 P.O.S.

Re: Preventive Headaches: Installing New Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
well, looking at my fronts after putting Liquid Wrench on the inner nut I either have original or original like replacements. Seeing how the rubber is malformed, I am thinking original but does really matter. Now I have to deal with that 150 Ft pound nut, which on the passenger side is in a rather tight spot with the lines running near it.

Plus, I haven't a toque wrench that gets near 150 Ft pounds to deal with the replacement stud, my little guy is in inch pounds and I can only get to 80 ft pounds. ugh.
Not sure if you've figured the torque part out yet, but the 150 didn't sound right to me. I looked it up in my '72 service manual and it says, for the front, 140 ft/lbs for the upper end of the shock and 75 for the lower end. Then I found my instructions from ECE, and they say its only 60 ft/lbs for all of the shock bolts on the KYB shocks. For the rear shocks, GM says 75 ft/lbs for all shock bolts and ECE says 60 ft/lbs. So I used the ECE specs. Should make it easy for your torque wrench too lol.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 03-05-2021 at 04:35 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote