View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 08:08 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Wiring for Alternator, HEI, Lights, Fuel Pump

I have a couple thoughts on this:
  • A fusible link protects the smallest gauge wire in your circuit by fusible link burning up first if you have a short. If the 10 gauge wire that goes through the firewall to the fuse box also connects with non-fused wiring such as 12 gauge wires to the ignition switch, headlight switch and stuff like that you may want to use a 16 gauge fusible link on that 10 gauge wire.
  • It looks like you've thought of making sure your fuel pump doesn't continue to pump after a collision and spew gas, using an oil pressure switch sounds good. I have also seen in catalogs fuel pump control modules that work using the tach signal from the distributor. I recommend all metal hard fuel line on the pressure side of the fuel pump going to the carburetor.
  • I have heard of using an oil pressure switch to power the electric choke so the warm up of the electric choke coil only starts when then engine actually starts. It seems like a good idea to me and I don't think it is likely an electric choke would blow a fuse. They don't draw much current.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote