View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #111
Snake72

Re: Grandpa's 72 restoration

Made some good forward progress this weekend. Redid my plug wire routing, I used Delco 75 corvette wires that routed WAY better than my previous wires that were for a 78 C10...was able to tuck them away nice and clean. Ran some more ground wires/straps, went through the wiring again and ran a temporary exhaust using stainless downpipes to cheapo turbo mufflers, will have a good system put on after the truck is running.

I threw the ACC carpet in quick but is not in permanently yet, just wanted to let the carpet rest. It fits well but was quite wrinkled which I should be able to work out pretty easy. Cut and buffed the original interior paint and cleaned up awesome. The steering wheel will be cleaned but not repaired or painted. Took many miles of my grand parents hands to get it looking like a beat up chore boot.

Cleaned the nasty gas out of the old tank and now looks brand new. There was a solid layer of varnish crud on the bottom but after draining the tank my Dad and I dropped a log chain in there with fresh gas and tilted back and forth, flushed, and repeated. Worked great. I wire wheeled some minor surface rust from the bottom outside of the tank and sprayed acid etch primer and painted silver.

Reinstalled the instrument cluster, glove box, radio, and glove box door. While doing this I noticed the heater control plate was loose, all 4 rivets were broken. So I pulled that assembly out and tore it apart. Already drilled out the rivets and will just use stainless button head bolts through the face plate. I dont really care if there are bolt heads visible, just want a solid assembly. I ordered new steel heater selector levers from GMC Pauls that are supposed to be unbreakable and will lube the cables when I re install.

One question however, I used an engine and fwd lamp harness from M&H that were already set up for HEI and internally regulated alternator, my original harness had another small harness from a separate hole in firewall (see firewall pic below, large black grommet covering this hole next to speedo cable) that connected to a small dark brown wire and then a larger gauge red wire ran to the front of the carb I think? Idle stop solenoid? (see carb pic, front left solenoid on carb) What is that and do I need it? Also another connection that ran possibly to trans? TCS wiring? Do I need these or can I discard? I don't think they're necessary but confused on what this harness controlled. What is the small brown wire coming from the engine harness plug? Any help would be great.
Attached Images

Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote