View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #23
SCOTI

Re: Well, thanks to you guys I did it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
It can be done but the bigger problem I had later was when I put my bed back on the next to last bolts were tough to get the nuts on. Had to get my wife with a thinner arm to get the nuts started and then I could reach them with a wrench. Boyd's makes a mounting kit with threaded pieces you bolt to the frame that eliminates that issue. In retrospect, I would have tack welded the nuts to the inner frame or something. If I ever pull the tank I will probably do something to have a nut you don't have to hold with a wrench.
You can make a piece of steel strap w/some nuts welded to it for an easier time with getting the hardware secured. Drill holes in the strap that align w/the tank mounting hole locations. Tack/weld some nuts to the strap. When you mount the tank, slide the strap inside the rail close to where they need to be. Get the bolts @ the easier end started while keeping the 'more difficult to access' end aligned w/a screwdriver/awl. The strap/captured nut means not having to snake your hand up in there.

Bed bolt access once a rear mounted tank is installed can cramp things. Sometimes a slight tweak to the areas w/a grinding disc (or slightly enlarging holes) makes things a lot easier.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-15-2021 at 02:49 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote