View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 12:41 AM   #44
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

Since I'll have a 6 speed automatic trans with a final drive of 0.67, and a 29.75" tire I figure I can go with a steeper gear. I swapped out the 3.07 one wheel peel for a 4.11 gear in an Eaton Truetrac rear diff. The calculator tells me my rpm in 6th gear will be 2275 with a speed of 75 MPH. I believe it'll be a serious tire shredder. The stock L83 puts out 385/hp and 385 ft.lbs.

This was a fairly intimidating part of the build. I have no experience with rebuilding a rear differential. I took the same approach as I always do, read all about it, ask a ton of questions, and go for it. I still don't know if I did it right yet, but when the time comes, I'll take it nice and slow to hopefully catch any mistakes I made before it grenades.

This job required me to expand my tool chest which is always a bonus. I have wanted a press for a long time anyways, and who can't use a dial indicator every once and a while?

Now all I need to do is remember to fill the dang thing with oil. Unfortunately I have a history of forgetting the oil... yeah... that one cost me a perfectly good T-56.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote