View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #230
Snake72

Re: Grandpa's 72 restoration

Progress continues. Ran the rear tail light harness, a reproduction from M&H.
I have been very happy with the quality of their harnesses. Took a bit of trial and error figuring out the correct way to run the wires, had to drill a couple ground bolt holes. New tail light buckets and lenses. Decided the original side marker lights just looked too trashy with new paint and I installed the cheyenne style divided marker lights. Not correct for this truck but I think they look better. May go with van marker lights in the future but these will work for now.
Tailgate mounted and somehow didn't scratch any paint, happy day.

The new tailgate and tail light trim went on well, had previously made a template from my old bedsides for tail light bezel clip holes and transferred that to the new sides, drilled holes prior to paint. Fit was good enough, but not great. For the center trim piece above the latch handle I had to drill 2 new holes in fresh paint, nerve racking to say the least, but taped it up really well and measured and marked 5x before drilling, went perfect.

For the longer trim pieces I used 3M double sided moulding tape, stuff is crazy sticky. From my research everyone says it works great. Really don't want to have to drill a ton of holes if the 3M tape works. Test fit several times and applied tape directly to backside of trim. It sticks incredibly well, immediately, so there is no "wiggle room" when applying to painted surface. Time will tell on durability but I'm very happy with it. Planning to use 3M tape with lower side trim as well.

Also installed new side mirrors and backing plates. Not a one person job, you really need someone to hold the mirror while attaching backing plate, but I managed. I used my busted up old mirrors to transfer screw holes to new door skins prior to paint, but the new mirror screw holes were waaay off compared to OE. Had to enlarge holes, got it done.
Attached Images

Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote