View Single Post
Old 11-18-2023, 10:18 PM   #174
Madkidd007

Re: 1965 Lincoln, need I say more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixwheeler View Post
First off, great build and cool to see you doing everything yourself. Just read through the entire thread. I’ve got a ‘62 vert I’m getting ready to start on with a LS7… how’d you get the 6l80e and driveshaft to fit without tunnel mods? Any info is helpful.
Replied to you PM before seeing this but I did just think of something. If you want to run a double cardan you must start with a 4WD 6L80e(90 won’t work).

The 6L80 4WD output shaft is the same spline as a 4L80E or many transfer cases. So I used a bolt on yoke for one of those like the off road guys. Being my shaft is 2 piece it already has a slip in the back section. Then I put the 2WD tailhousing(Camaro I think) in a lathe and cut down as much as I could to where the seal would still press all the way back in.
That made the housing I think 5/16-3/8” shorter. Next I drilled and tapped the output shaft for a 9/16 bolt which is fine because it has zero sheer force, only keeps the yoke pulled to the output shaft. Lastly I installed the yoke tightening the bolt until the seal almost touched. Measured the gap between the yoke and output shaft then made an aluminum spacer so I could tighten it up and it be bottomed out.

Oh forgot I also put the yoke on the lathe and radiused the edge where the slip transfers to the casting to make sure the seal didn’t get torn as it rotated.

Not exactly bolt on, but with friends with the right tools mine bolts on.

Only two picture I could locate. Top of the floor a hammer fixed, then the center of the output shaft you can see the factory shallow hole I drilled and tapped.
Attached Images

Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com

Last edited by Madkidd007; 11-18-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote