View Single Post
Old 03-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #12
MadRatt

Re: Idles high after going from park to gear and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
Did you look and see if the coolant temperature had changed to showing a cold reading when the idle goes higher?

Yes the PROM does hold the desired RPM within it. Could it be the problem? It could.

This one is going to be twisting in my brain all day.
I changed the temp sender yesterday just because its one of the last things I hadn't changed. The temp doesn't change from park to gear and or back. Everything looks as it should. I'm going to reset the base idle again and see where my counts end up. I also found a diagnostic tree from a service manual that shows how to test the wiring going to the IAC. All wires tested fine. Also Tested resistance on the old IAC and that was fine. The new IAC never helped this issue but I am going to pull that out and double check its resistance as well. The more I go the more I think the prom is the issue.

I have read several posts on here from awhile back that say these year trucks were prone to PROM issues. Someone even said in the early 2000's he used to go to the junk yards and grab several PROM's (as they were many of these trucks in there back then) and would have to go thru a couple till he found one that didn't have some running issue with it. So it wasn't unusual at the time.

My brains been twisting for months on this as well. Any other good info you can think of would be of great help. Oh and I don't have an ALDL cable as of yet to get better data. Ordered one last night. should be here next week.

My 64 Stepper Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=586792
MadRatt is offline   Reply With Quote