View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #42
79blazer

Re: Tbi swap build thread

I did a TBI swap on my Caprice a couple years ago. Donor vehicle was a 88 truck. I was fortunate to have the complete factory service manual, including complete wiring diagram book. I did reorganize wires, so that FI input/output were together, all other wiring separate.

After much research, I found that the ford E2000 Inline fuel pump works good. It is capable of much higher pressures than a stock TBI requires, yet it doesn't flow too much to where a 5/16 return line would cause over pressure. It runs cool, an doesn't draw too much amps. You can use quick connections, or clamp hoses to it. I doubled clamped. I bought two (one for spare) for $30 at a pick-and-pull I think. It was in many Ford vehicles, so it was easy to find. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductG...rtnumber=E2000 One advantage is you wouldn't have to drop the tank to repair it, should it fail. Buy it used cheap (try to find a newer, cleaner one) or instantly, no shipping necessary.

The sock filter in the tank also acts like a baffle.

Disadvantage to some inline pumps (some times the e2000 too, according to my research) they may be difficult to prime. As in: if you run out of gas, it may be hard to get fuel pressure back. That is because they are better at pumping fuel, than drawing a vacuum.

There's pro's and con's to everything. I am glad I used a old harness, because I learned alot about fuel injection when I did it.

Man reading this thread brings back memories of when I did mine! Mine was a 7747 ECM too. For example a simple brass male/female 90 degree elbow from Homedepot works for the oil pressure sensor.