View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
JA50N

JA50N's 86 GMC: A rust wars story

I'm going to start a build thread since I got some pretty key components for my build yesterday, but first let's go back....

I picked this truck up in early May from a buddy on the Eastern Shore.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

It's a 1986 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 SB. It has a few rust issues as most do in this part of the mid-atlantic but I can deal with that. It also has had a 350 dropped in to replace the tire 305 which has less than 20K on it. Bonus.

The day I brought it home:

I started doing some stuff to the interior to make it more livable.

LED dash lights

Now that the interior was livable and I could set my cell phone on the dash without losing it inside it, lol, I moved to piddling around with he exterior.

I added some 2" bolt on wheel spacers to make this happen:

So after that, I just drove it around when I wanted to and didn't do much to it. I pondered where I wanted to go with it and finally after some lucrative OT at work this happened:

4.56 open diff 3/4 ton 14 bolt and dana 60 front to match. So now 35's are on the way and I am trying to decide on 3 or 4 inch lift to go with it. I don't want it to be super high. This thing will be used off road so it needs to not rub even when flexed and tires stuffed.

So I think my path is clear now, lol.

Stay tuned as I refurbish these axles, get my tires and wheels in, and pick out the lift. Any pointers for those that have been down this path is greatly appreciated!
JA50N is offline   Reply With Quote