View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #24
martyminnesma

Re: 72 chevy 350 running rough under load!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
My timing curve isn't what you need. I ran a 3.11 first gear 4 speed and 3.73 rear gear. Spent very little time in the lower rpm's.
What tranny you got?
What rear gears?
What's your idle rpm?
How many turns out on your mixture screws?
How far will either one turn in before it starts to quit?
i have a 700r4 with a shift kit and unfortunately a hydraulic lock up.
I'm not sure what the rear end gears are. somewhere around a 2.9 something or a low 3 something. its a 12 bolt posi rear end.
idle is at 750 in neutral, but the tranny pulls it down to 500. (thanks again to the hydraulic lock up).
mixture screws can go about a half turn in before they effect the idle. im pretty sure the dyno guy set the air fuel ratio around 15 at idle. number doesnt mean much to me but to you maybe.

i tried turning up the initial timing to 12 degrees, as it was sitting at 8 (which is lower than i thought i had it at before) anyways, big improvement on the off the line power. but i didn't have much room to test it before i started hitting ice. the only worry is that with the high vacuum setting i have, at a high rpm cruise or even a quick throttle release from a high rpm can bring my total timing over 50. so I don't know at what point pre-ignition would start, but i'm keeping my ears open.

as i mention earlier, i was wrong about what word I used to describe what vacuum i am using. I have been using manifold vacuum this whole time

also how do i reduce the vacuum advance? can i braze a new stop point on it some how?
martyminnesma is offline   Reply With Quote