View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 06:20 PM   #9
Rufas

Re: Radiator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
215 in the head is not overheating at idle . The fan being to far in is a problem it will cause the air to swirl and for lack of a better word cavitate in the shroud . My Chevelle will hit 215 -225 in the head before the fans kick in . You said you had electric fans what brand ? I had some Flex-A-Lite fans on it and it was always borderline would take a good while for the temp to go down I replaced them with an aluminum fan shroud and Spal fans the temps will almost instantly drop as soon as they kick in . They use less power and cool 100% better than the Flex fans rated at the same CFM the Flex fans also had an aluminum shroud .

My new truck build I’m putting in a Cold case with dual Spal fans with the aluminum shroud that can with the radiator. The fans that came with the radiator just look cheap in my opinion.
The electric fans I replaced were Spal fans with shroud. They would kick in and I still had temp crepe. At freeway speeds the temp still increased when they kicked it. Speeds below 60 mph they worked ok. Those fans seemed to be restrictive above 60 mph.

Now with the 6 blade heavy duty fan (non flex) and no fan clutch I can cruise freeway speeds and climb hills greater than 6% and my temp stay between 179° to 185°.

My radiator is the original Harrison 4 core. It's in great shape but I'm starting to wonder if have it 'rodded' out would help. The problem is finding a radiator shop that can still do that.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote