View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #57
Chevy Fleetside

Re: Rebuilding Engine

Well since my last post.. My son has learned how to drive a manual and we are building a truck for him.
I had the engine in the truck and it ran so smooth and purred like a happy kitty. After running it for about 10 mins I noticed a puddle of oil under it. I was using the old style canister and thought maybe the gasket folded over on me. I took that off and noticed the o ring was pinched and thought it was over. After starting it again it still leaked.

Well fast forward up to now. I pulled the engine back out and primed the oil pump when out of the truck because I didn't want to miss anything. I could have pulled the head because that is where it seemed to be coming from. There is a plug in the back of the block that screws in and it just happens to be half way under the head and it took time to puddle the oil in and start leaking out. If I jus pulled the head and didn't prime it I probably would have missed it.
I took the head back off and put some Teflon tape and some sealer on the plug and screwed it back in. Put the head back on just so I could prime the pump and make sure it was all ok.
It seems to be good now I am just waiting for new gaskets and will be painting more parts.

You can see the plug in the picture and it is halfway under the head.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 03-02-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote