View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 06:06 PM   #15
Bluegoose972

Progress Report on Goose:

Tore into the rearend over the weekend. Stripped off all the old goodies (springs, rear axle, etc.) and started installing new unit. I'm installing a Dana 60, semi-floating rear end with locker and disc brakes. There are a few of the obstacles I encountered.

#1 Since the truck is stripped down to the bare frame, I could only tack the spring perches in place. I will line up the rearend once I get the engine, transmission, and transfer case installed.

#2 The hydraulic brake lines off the old unit will not fit on the new axle. I plan on using a coat hanger to fab a new brake line route then have a local shop fabricate. I MAY try to use the old line, and just have it adjusted to fit my application.

#3 The parking brake cable will need to be modified. I should be able to use the old line, but it will require two modifications. First, the end will need to be shortened by 4.5" in order to fit the new disc brake configuration. Second, the bracket on the frame will need to be lowered to prevent binding when the axle drops down....A couple of inches should be more than enough.

#4 While not really a obstacle, I did have to weld the shock brackets onto the axle. Of course, I messed up the first time and had to remove it and re-weld it in place. Shame on me for not measuring twice!!

I have discovered that my welding is a little rough....Ok, it down right sucks!!! I'm way out of practice. But it is amazing how good things look after you hit it with an angle grinder. I only knock off the high points, but with that and a fresh coat of paint, things look awesome!

What else did I do this weekend. I installed the new steering box from AGR on the frame. Started cleaning up the skid shield for the gas tank (I guess that is what it is called). New tank straps are a must. When I started wire brushing off all the grime, they were just too brittle and within a few minutes one broke in half. So, the last think I want to do is drop the gas tank the first time I hit a bump.

Until next time,
Rick
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote