View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

I retrofitted my door latches with solenoids to accommodate for my shaved door handles. They turned out great! They may look a bit weird, but remember that the opener solenoid has to be positioned not to interfere with the path of the window glass.
I started by making a profile template of the door latch surface from cardboard that included the latch, & window track mounting holes, I mapped out where the widow traveled, and worked around the space that was available in the door to situate the solenoid & required linkage.
I did the fab work a buddies shop, then went & installed them into the doors for tryout, and everything works perfectly (for once).
At first I had the linkages adjusted with zero-lash, & the solenoids didn't always want to un-latch the door. It seems that at the FULLY extended position, the solenoids only produce a fraction of their maximum pulling-force, but if they are slightly retracted in their travel, they have a considerable greater pulling potential. So by adjusting a little slack into the linkage they worked flawlessly, every-time!
This made my day!
Attached Images

Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote