View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

First project: Repairs

I decided I'd tackle the leaking rear diff. It started spewing fluid in Maine, so luckily didn't chew anything up... but it fluid-filmed the underside and back of the truck pretty nicely.

It didn't take much to get the cover off... half the bolts were hand tight and they were all well lubricated. Hardest part was fitting under the back of the truck even on jackstands.

Then I noticed something...

Yes. It had two gaskets, stacked, and RTV smeared around the edge of the cover. I am guessing this has leaked a few times on a few different people... the breather is completely plugged (sorry no photos of that yet.)

I started cleaning everything up but the cover is pretty bashed up around the bottom edge of the lip. I am guessing this saw hard life as a DOT truck based on the bright-orange road-cone orange under all the various paint colors. But, besides some minor rust and a wrinkly body, its really solid compared to what I am used to in New England, so I'm good with it.

So now I'm going to try to find a cover locally tomorrow so I can install it one night this weekend.

While I waited, I made a list of stuff that has to happen to pass inspection; horn, license plate light, and I need to fix the drivers seat belt. Oh, and it had this absolutely atrocious (in my eyes) shift knob on the lever, so I picked up one from TCI for cheap.

I also got a package with a trans pan gasket, filter, and a new trans fill tube that uses the top-hat style seal rather than the crappy chrome one thats on there now. Hoping thats the source of the trans leak, but I suspect the vent is plugged on that too despite being freshly rebuilt.

Once I'm done UNDER the truck, I'll tackle the power steering pump and put a few miles on it to find any new leaks. Once I know there aren't any new leaks, I'll get under it and get some paint on the frame where the bump stops were removed and make an attempt to swap the front springs for the lowering springs. I want to have tie rod ends and ball joints on hand to swap in while I have them popped apart in the event they look in bad shape. Hopefully there will be more updates this weekend...
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote