View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #17
sick472

Re: 700R4 LockUp Troubleshooting

Here's a twist to the puzzle which I will be communicating to my transmission guy.

Last night's test...

I cut the hot "B" wire and grounded the "D" wire. Everything functioned well right into 4th gear. There was no lock-up that I could tell all the way through 3rd gear, but forth gear hit and it locked up within a 3 mph increase as I was accelerating (around 70 mph). Probably in less than 2-3 seconds after it went into 4th gear. BUT, it had a bad shudder/vibration that was felt and heard. It felt like an out of balance tire. I immediately disconnected the ground and the shudder went away. Upon reconnecting it...the shudder came back without fail over several trials in 4th gear....no lock-up in 3rd whatsoever while toggling the ground. The ground was switched in the cab so I could toggle at will.

I am at a loss until I can get my guy to drop the pan and define how it is wired internally (he apparently did not pay any attention to that when he rebuilt it - uuuhg!). I don't know what to think about the shudder as I would have been happy with lock-up in 4th only.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote