2 new upper ball joints
2 new lower ball joints
2 new inner tie rod ends
2 new outer tie rod ends
2 gallons of dot 3
2 cases of brake cleaner
10 gallons of gasoline for cleaning parts

1 busted knuckle

I started off knowing that this basket case of a shop truck needed some front suspension and brake love. however i didnt plan to go all out and completely redo everything brakes and front suspension related.

started out with the left front knuckle, ball joints and axle shaft, inner and outer tie rod ends, bearings, rotor, caliper and pads. Then right front ball joints, axle shaft, rotor, caliper and pads. Over to the left rear, with disassembly and cleaning of all the parts that i planned to reuse, which being as how half the parts were missing this was fairly straight forward. replacing the dust shield was the hardest part because getting the parking brake cable free of the caliper mount. the left rear received new caliper mount, caliper, rotor, park brake shoes, and said dust shield. The right read got the same treatment as the left.

After installing everything, I called my wife out to the shop to assist me with bleeding the brakes. Wife has helped me in the past with brake bleeding, so i figured she could help me again with this truck. I let her pump the pedal while i cracked the bleeders. WELL!!!! I started at the right rear, she pumped the pedal i cracked the bleeders, got NO fluid out of the bleeders, worked my way around the truck with no better result. I sent my wife back to the house and screwed around with the truck some more. I hadnt realized that there was no pedal because the wife didnt say ANYTHING about it, I assumed all was normal except that there was not much fluid from the bleeders, figured i would start the truck, hydro booster and all, no change in pedal situation. SOOOOO i changed out the master cylinder too.

SO this is where i am now... after changing out the master cylinder and begging the wife to come out to the shop again to help with the bleeding...

guess what? NO CHANGE in the pedal situation.

I am now looking at changing out the last serviceable part in the system, the Hydro Booster... but before i do i am looking for info on whether or not the lack of pedal could be the hydro booster or some other &%#* part!

Thought ?

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote