View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #24
72c20customcamper

Re: A plan to make my '70 pretty(er)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll View Post
The white paint is flaky. Once you get that off you can evaluate the green, it seems to be holding up better to the scraps. probably won’t take too much longer to take it to bare metal if your using 60- 80 grit, especially on the flat panels. For door jams, drip rail, and fire wall I like to sand blast. You can get a 20-25 gallon blaster pretty cheap at harbor freight. Play sand from HD works well as a media if you strain the pebbles out. Keep the blaster away from larger flat panels like your hood because they can warp metal. If it’s thicker sheet metal like a cab floor support or has Intricate bends like door jams you can blast it, saves a lot of time rather than trying to sand in hard to reach areas.
Never use play sand or any sand in a blaster. Use blasting media made for that purpose, sand is silica based upwards of 90% so unless you have a great filtration system not just a mask but pure filtered air you will inhale some as will everyone down wind of your blasting . Why take the risk when black beauty is like 8 bucks and contains far less than 1% free silica.

A lot of people say they sell it in the store for kids to play in so it must be safe . Sure it's safe in its unaltered state. But once you use it in a blaster you are cracking down the grains to powder that will stay on you and everything around you for a while. Ever look at the plume around guys using a blaster? To save 40 or 50 bucks isnt worth it .
https://www.precisionfinishinginc.co...-a-sandblaster

I use black beauty and grushed glass for blasting .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 12-11-2020 at 06:49 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote