View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 11:19 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Any thoughts on this AC system

That is the ground zero basic under dash style AC unit that got put in tens of thousands of cars in the 50's 60's and early 70's (in cars and trucks that came without AC in the 70's as you could get AC in most then) .

Good units that will get a truck colder than you want to deal with for sure. I had one in my 59 El Camino that I bought in 1970. Had one that I got used that I put in my 69 Cutlass when I moved to Texas to get married.

The Bad, they get in the way a lot, especially if your honey sits in the middle. They can be a knee banger and might get in the way of a forward mounted floor shift. If you are long legged they might impose on knee room for your right leg if it is one of the bigger ones. 20-3/4 wide so figure 10 and 3/8 from the center line hanging down about six inches.

If you are shooting for a 60's style build they are period correct, even for a 50's build to a high degree.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote