View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #3

Question Re: 1968 Chevy C10--new carb problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Sounds like a hopeful minor problem....
Make sure all the plug wires are where they need to be, on the cap, and engine...

As a rule of thumb, an engine that accelerates sluggish, needs more advance. Get it running, try moving the dist around, see what happens. Be very careful, since this thing's in the backfiring mood...

Look at your old cover, compare it to the new chrome cover. try to make a mark somewhere w/ a sharpie, to give you at least a close estimate on timing.

Yes, check timing w/ vac advance disconnected. I'm guessing your combo is close to stock. The timing should be around 8-12 degrees BTDC idling.

Take the carb off, make sure the carb base gasket you are using, isn't leaking vacuum.
There should be an imprint on the top and bottom of the gasket, where it's making contact, it will tell the story, good, or bad.

Plug off the PCV valve, see if that helps, I used a cheapo valve here recently, it caused problems..wanna guess where it was made??? (not USA)

The backfire could be from a minor vac leak, check the carb, as stated earlier. New intake gaskets seldom leak. make sure the bolts are tight. 30 ft/lb is all they need. I never use a torque wrench, make sure they are tight within reason.

When you get all this under control, check the intake bolts for tightness, when the engine is completely cooled down (as in after it sets over night). The intake bolts need to be rechecked for tighteness. 2-3 times, until you recheck them ,and they don't loosen up any more (all this has to do w/ aluminum expanding when hot, more than iron)

Im thinking timing may be my problem, I set it at 0 degrees btdc instead of 8-12s degrees btdc. Would that cause backfiring under load? It idles fine and revs fine also unless you repeatedly rev it, then it backfires. Also, there are two ports for vacuum advance, one is for timed and the other is full. I am using the full for my dist. vacuum, and I have my transmission vacuum line hooked up to the timed. Is that acceptable or should I route the trans vacuum back into the manifold where it was stock and plug the timed vacuum? The carb and gasket are both new so I doubt they are leaking, I will check them though cause you never know. I'll also try the pvc valve just in case but it was my old one so i doubt it.
1968 is offline   Reply With Quote