View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
59chev

59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

Welcome to the build thread for my 59 Apache. I’m currently 34, married and have two daughters ( 2 and a half years old and 2 months ). Needless to say I'm not working on the truck as much as I would like to right now, but slow progress is being made. I first bought this truck when I was 17 and got it on the road a few years later. This build thread will start with the day I towed it to home to current day, then cover the progress and the current re-build plan moving forward.

I first saw my truck from the window of the school bus sitting out in front of a body shop in a small town when I was about 14. At the time I didn’t know what it was, it just looked cool. I used to drive my parents crazy always talking about it. They finally said “Why don’t you see if you can buy it?” For $300 it was mine. These pictures are from the day we towed it home. It was in pretty sad shape, every single body panel except the doors had serious dents or rust. There was almost a foot of metal missing from the cab corners. Someone had left water without antifreeze in the original 235 engine and the block was cracked from one end to the other through the water jacket. The truck had sunk into the dirt a good 6 inches but the old tires still held air. In restrospect I would have been better off finding something in better shape, but at the time it had to be this specific truck.

59chev is offline   Reply With Quote