View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
59chev

Re: 59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

Next, the exterior got some attention. The cab, fenders and hood received some body work and a coat of primer. I mocked the front end up and painted the hood emblem by hand.

My first car is in the background, a 78 Pontiac Grand-Prix. It was the only car I have ever owned, the rest have been trucks. It had a small 301 Pontiac engine in it but it was still a fun car.

The original box was extremely dented and rusted out. It got replaced with a rust free long box from a 58 GMC.

In the background you can see my brother’s first project, a ’64 Valiant Barracuda. He sold it before really starting on it and replaced it with a running 1974 Dodge Dart.

The drivers fender on the GMC box had the spare tire cut out which I didn’t want, so we cut the good top out of the original fender and welded it in as a patch to eliminate the cut out. I think that was the only part of the original rear fenders that wasn't dented or rusted out.The body work wasn't perfect but at least there was no visible rust and the huge dents had been repaired. I can't remember why a different color primer was used on the box vs the cab.

59chev is offline   Reply With Quote