View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #23
59chev

Re: 59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

While the truck was parked I had some time to think about what I wanted to accomplish the second time around. The first time I built it, it ended up pretty much stock. As far as a learning experience of rebuilding my first project this was the easiest way to go because you pretty much remove the old part and bolt on a new one. The downside to this was when I was done, it handled and performed like a 60 year old truck ( big surprise ). I knew that I had to do something about the transmission, so my planning started here. I considered 4 options:

1) Repair or replace the 3 speed – I threw this option out right away. With the 3.90 rear gears and the non-sycro-2nd, 1:1 3rd gear. This transmission just wasn’t much fun for a young guy in my 20’s. If I started in first I was shifting by 10 mph, so I would start in 2nd most of the time. Also on the highway, I could only do about 50mph before the RPMs got too high. I could replace the rear with a higher gear but then I still had the non-syncro 2nd to deal with.

2) T5 behind the 261 - Cheapest option, better top speed on the highway, would need a new driveshaft.

3) 700r4 behind the 261 – seriously considered this as an automatic was looking better and better with stop and go driving in the city. However the adapters I priced out where around $1000 by the time I got it to Canada. Would need a new driveshaft as well.

4) 700r4 behind a V8 – More performance than the 261 could offer without serious work and the benefits of an overdrive on the highway. Would need a new driveshaft anyway.

Along with this I also wanted the truck to sit lower. I considered two options:

1) Camaro clip- sits lower and rides better than stock or dropped axle, disc brakes and v8 motor mounting included. Downside was it would be more difficult than anything I had ever done before.

2) Drop axle, mono or reversed eye leaf springs – by the time I upgraded to disc brakes, would cost the same or more than the Camaro clip. Benefit would be that it was bolt/unbolt and I did the first time.

I ultimately ended up deciding on the Camaro clip with a V8 and 700r4. I decided that this time around I wanted to only do things the way I wanted them the right off the bat instead of going the easiest/cheapest method. Lux Blue's thread on the Hamb convinced me that this was something that I could accomplish. I definately recommend this for anyone attempting a camaro clip for the first time.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote