View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #456
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Thanks, guys! My bead roller project is complete except for disassembly, sand blasting and powder coating. As a test, I used it to roll the offset lines in the radiator cover/bracket and they turned out straight as a string. Kathy is my ace helper. She runs the handle while I feed the material. The reinforcement ribs make a huge difference in how smooth the rollers turn. And the fence is key to the straight lines. I should have made those mods a long time ago, but I do so little bead rolling anymore that it seemed more work than it was worth. Definitely found out that was not the case. Total material cost at Metal by the Foot was a little less than $40.

There's a YouTube video I watched on how to convert it to a motorized setup using a SBC flex plate, starter pinion, Foredom foot controller and a HF variable speed 1/2" drill. If you have a used flex plate and starter pinion laying around, you can do the conversion for under $100. However, as long as Kathy's arms hold out, I'll forego that mod.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote