View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 AM   #54
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
This thread just brought a smile to my face, I was thinking I was the only one left out there in CB land. The CB radio still has it uses for things. As stated above at Bonneville, also Off Roading, Boating, Swamp buggies, Backwoods/Basecamp coms.,Even Air to bush supply drops. They are overlooked mostly in todays electronics world. But they are still available, and with free airtime, Also stated above about "SKIP" radio and sidebands, I have a hopped up old Galaxy with them, its been shelved for years but I used to talk all over the country and some over oceans with that radio, add a little Linear heat from top a big hill and the air waves would take you world wide at times I have a Cobra 29LTDW now. I'm an avid outdoors-man so weather comes in handy now and then. I had it peaked, and tuned back in the late 90's and it still works great to this day. I never power it by 12volt "socket", hard wired to + terminal of the battery and a sufficient ground also under the hood compartment. I used a HD inline fuse, that has a power kill switch also. For my antenna, I have to say, I love my Wilson's. I have a magnet mount 1000 on my 72, but have a "Lil Wil" mag mount for other Vehicles,ATV's, Boats, etc... There are alott of aftermarket gadgets, doo-dads, decals, noise toys, all over flEbay for the 29. The magnet mount antenna are great as you can place them anywhere metal, for paint protection, Just put a scrap of silk between the mount and the surface. all the Wilson antenna's are very easy to set SWR's by a pair of set screws at the base of the stainless whip. "FWIW" on all my vehicles, toys i also use a simple Red/Black quick 12 volt disconnect and have the same end pre wired/installed, and several mounting brackets for the Cobra 29 so I can just swap the radio and the antenna if needed from one ride to the next. If I Buy another one, It will be this one. IMO i think it still has a Nostalgic look to it, and the night colors go good with the factory gauges in our trucks.
10-04 There Cherokee John, That's a pretty-looking rig. Is the green/white paint job a special deal, or did you leavethe truck parked in the summer where the passenger side was exposed to direct sunlight, and it bleached?

I had [have still] a string of Johnson Messenger transcievers. I [''Whiteface''] and II [''Blackface''] are tube-type and as big and long as mailboxes. Then the Messenger III [ or 123?] is solid state and about the size of yours. Not sure if any of them work, but those tube rigs really broadcast it out, even barefoot. They were built with 5 watts final out, not the 3.5, later mandated by Uncle Charlie. With a good base location [Burbank side of Hollywood Hills] and a HyGain CLR omni antenna, I once got out with my Whiteface on the north/south skip layer [E or F?] and QSO'd with a YL on the south slope of Mount Saint Helen's. It was about midnight and it was 1967.

I have a Radio Shack SSB mobile on a tiltstand I can place in the passengerside footwell, that can switch between vehicles. It works, but with the magmount stubby, the SSB effect is wasted. Also need to trick up the glaring white early model LED screen with some translucent blue gel.

Well threes and eight there Buddy, the OrangeSunshine is over and out.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote