View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #78
70cst

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
THAT is a cool history of your username. If I'm not mistaken, no license required these days? But not completely certain of that. I do recall all the paperwork coming in the box back in the day. Was kinda fun to fill out - a sure sign I was stepping into some "new" gee-whiz technological world.. Ha. Yes, I know I could just use my cell these days, but now THAT'S illegal in most states while you're driving! CB, you don't have to look, you just have to talk and listen, the latter rapidly becoming a lost art it seems (ok, cynical old man off his podium). I like CBs I guess, what can I say...

BREAK BREAK

(or should I say "Breaker Breaker.." ha). I have not used a newer SSB outfit before, only pre-SSB CBs. I'm curious how much better, if any, they work than older non-SSB setups. Most of the vintage stuff is NOT SSB, but some of the very end of the era stuff is - mostly I've found Realistic models in the TRC-450 and up range to be SSB and their fetching price (on ebay anyway) is through the roof compared to non-SSB. I ALMOST bought a pristine NIB TRC-452 (I think it was) SSB version - but decided that was a little too pricey ($350) - but am starting to second guess that decision because I'm seeing others in similar new condition for upwards of $700. So, if anyone has used both old school and SSB, I'd be interested in knowing if you felt the performance, clarity, etc was better than pre-SSB. Thanks!
The old Philly made Uniden Grant and Cobra 148 are highly after as they are very quite RX radios ... compared to todays standard radio. The President 2510 is also highly sought after. The Galaxy 99V and 88 are also in high demand. SSB were normally found on the higher priced radios. I don't think the quality is as good now as it was in the 80's.
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote