View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
CC69Rat

Re: Opinions on brakes and wheel combo

In no way assuming you dont jnow this, but just incase you dont or maybe it will help someone else.

The reason wheels become an issue with disc brake conversions and dropped spindles is not really the brakes so much as the dropped spindle. The 71-72 stock height trucks dont have a problem with stock disc setups and 15x8" rallies.. right?

So, think about it like this. Think of a circle that's 15" in Diameter. From one side across the center line of the circle. What's the center point? 7.5".

The dropped spindle doesnt move anything else in the suspension as far as geometry, steering linkage, even the alignment is the same as factory. That's why they ride so well, etc. The only thing that changes is the position of the center point in the diameter of the wheel. What that center "rides" on as it turns moves UP in the wheel arch of the fender, thus making the truck sit that much lower. 3" dropped spindle = 3in drop. The spindle moves up 3 full inches.

Now, what does that do for your wheel? The center point of your wheel and spindle used to be 7.5" right? .. now, its 4.5" The spindle took 3" of it.

Now, you have an issue with 15" wheels clearing the lower control arms, ball joints, and especially turning with a wider front wheel and a lot of backspacing it can contact the lower control arm. This is why 17" wheels are suggested/ recommended.

The issue with big brakes is of course wheel clearance but you still want to make sure the backspacing wheel diameter, etc all has to jive or it's not going to work out.

This is why you see a lot of guys running 20s. If you dont like 20s, I get it .. but if you want a lowered truck with big brakes you kinda need 17+ wheels minimum. It really just depends on the brake kit and specs for clearance. I'm not saying send your brake kit back or sell it .. just saying, I think I'd go with larger wheels and keep my big brake kit. Just me. Hope this helps.

Heres a picture of 15" wheels and dropped spindles. Not my truck, not my picture.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote