Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #2040
SCOTI

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Those are 380 treadwear, I would think that .80, maybe .85 is all they're good for with normal truck suspension.

As far as old cars/trucks go, I've only seen lateral grip test results posted by Mark Stielow's "Jackass 2.0" Camaro that does 1.15g on 200tw BF Goodrich Rival tires. A thing to note about modern 200tw tires- they're labeled 200tw just to pass class rules, they're much stickier than traditional 100tw track tires. So going by treadwear isn't a good indication of how much grip a tire will have.

Here is a list of cars and the amount of grip they have for comparison.

https://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings
Yeppers. I follow many of those top tier 'Pro-Touring' guys. Mr. Stielow is one of the elite of that group & a super nice guy as well.

I 100% agree w/your assessment on using/going by the TW numbers as an absolute value but it's a decent indicator of where in the range it's supposed to be. Something around 200TW should stick much better than something w/a 500TW rating w/the suspension set-up being the same (kind of a Cliffnote version). I had 300TW rated Comp G's on our 4th GEN T/A. They were decent as far as 'stick' but wouldn't surpass 10k miles on the street.

--Scot
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote