Thread: Penny
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
cwcarpenter98

Re: Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Yeah, I bought it to be a parts truck. But halfway home, I realized it ran and drove too nice to pull apart. After the next gas stop, as I was pulling on to the freeway, I pushed the pedal to the floor and nothing really happened, haha. I thought, well I guess that's all there is.I ended up being really glad that there was a problem with the carburetor so that I had to pull it off. I can't quite understand what got into the carburetor to jam the secondaries so bad, but they wouldn't budge. Several soakings and cleanings later, and they should be available next time I need them. It will be cool to see your truck get cleaned up. I'm a big fan of the "fix what's already there" doctrine. I'll be interested to find out what transmission and diff ratio you have. Mine was originally a 700R4 that got swapped out for a turbo 350. Turns out that the TH350 and the 3.08 gears are just about right for cruising on the highway and losing stop light starts to corollas in the city, haha.
My guess is a turbo 350 and either 2.73s or 3.08s, but I won't be able to find out for a bit. The truck is still over 2 hours from home and I haven't gotten a plan together yet to go get it with a trailer.
This one is definitely the "fix what's already there" plan because I'm trying to do this as economically as possibly but still end up with a reliable driver that looks decent rolling down the road. Maybe I'll get it home in the next couple of weeks, maybe it'll be towards the end of July. Either way, it's on the list of things to do

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote