Thread: salvage yards
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 09:16 AM   #18
Axle

Re: salvage yards

Your thread title has it right, they are 'salvage yards' anymore, not used car parts resellers. I liked it better when they where commonly reffered to as Junk Yards, these days its all about turn over and getting rid of a vehicle in a short a turn over as possible to get it the scrap metal yard.

That along with the general automotive landscape has changed, people keeping older cars longer, people restoring cars that 30 years ago would have become one of the parts sources we used to love finding in the yards.When I spot an old vehicle these days is stripped out rusty hulk--I did the same with my '83 when I scrapped it. Anybody with an old car now recognizes the parts they have will come in handy, so they are stripped before the hulk even gets to the yard. All you can hope for is that somebody elses reject part is in better condition than the one you have.
And back to salvage yards, they have figured out how to make the most bang for their scrap dollar, can't blame them for that, but I sure do miss Junk Yards.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote