View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Dummy Light to Gauge dash swap chaos! Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
The junction block is not supposed to be 4 wires soldered together. The wires are supposed to have wire terminal ends o n them and then they attach to the plastic junction block mounted on the passenger side fender.
Here's a picture of the junction block that's supposed to be on all of these trucks passenger side fender near the top just under the hood about 12"-16" back from the front of fender and all wires attach to the center metal stud.
Paul @ GMCPauls
I may have confused you with my post, but I do have the junction block you posted but the only wires that went there were the fusible link from the battery, the battery charging wire (Shunt) and the no 1 wire to the battery gauge.

The soldered junction is on the other side of the truck in the harness behind the left head light and the four wires that are soldered together are the Alternator charging wire, the voltage regulator (external) sensing wire, the other end of the battery charging wire (Shunt) and the power feed to the firewall connector for the cab.

This is how the electrical diagrams for 67 to 72 show the junction and it's how Mad Electrics website shows it. ....

http://madelectrical.com/electricalt...evymain1.shtml

The only difference is on the 66 and earlier trucks the horn relay is used as the junction block but in 67 they moved the horn relay inside the cab but kept the splice.

Name:  chevym4.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  50.3 KB

here's the splice. These are in their website

Name:  chevym2.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  16.1 KB

I can't see how connecting all the power wires on the right fender junction would allow the battery gauge to work because it eliminates the battery charging wire ( the Shunt) which the gauge uses to read the voltage differential between the alternator output voltage and the battery state of charge. In fact the battery gauge would see the same voltage all the time because it would be reading the voltage at the alternator and the same voltage where the alternator connects to the right fender junction.

I removed the soldered junction in my truck and added a terminal block but I kept the battery charging wire and the alternator regulator sensing wire there and connected an 8 gauge wire from the alternator output terminal to them.

On the right side I used a junction block for the other end of the battery charging wire with a maxi fuse instead of the fusible link. I'm connecting the 1 and 12 wires with fuses to each end of the battery charging wire so the gauge will be wired like the diagrams. I've also converted to the internal .
regulated alternator do I'm anxious to see how it works.

It looks sorta like this.

Name:  ammetershunt12si.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  29.1 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote