View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 01:02 AM   #7
Nick_R_23

Re: 1978 Chevy K20 longbed with nearly 500,000 miles! LS Swap begins!

I ended up picking up a 2012 5.3L LC9 engine (all aluminum) with 120,000 miles for my Exocet project today, for only $1400! While this engine doesn't have much to do with the truck itself, it will be donating it's truck-style intake for this build, as the Exocet will require an LS6 intake. This intake will match the returnless Holley fuel pumps, and also uses the newer 4 bolt throttle body, which will get converted over to a 90mm cable throttle body. No pictures yet, but I'll be picking it up next Friday!

I did do a bit more junkyard hunting, and I think I came across the right gauge cluster to rob the water temp gauge from. I couldn't read the VIN number or the door tag, but it did have the hood with the bump on the front, as well as the fuel gauge reading "Unleaded Fuel Only", so I'm pretty confident I got a 79-80 cluster.

Two brand new stock replacement 1978 Precision fuel tanks came in from Oreilly's today as well.

When I purchased the Exocet's 5.3L, I got them to throw a stock airbox assembly in with the deal. I'm not 100% sure it will work yet, but my vague plan is to move the battery over to the driver's side, and use the stock air box where it would normally go on a modern truck.

Here's a high quality mock-up for everyone

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote