Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #48
dsraven

Re: Wife's 48

yeah, if anybody is laughing it is because they were once in the same boat as you are now, big job with minimal experience.
keep plugging away and soon you will look back and see how far you've come.pick a job and do the best you can. post pics and guys will give their 2 cents on how you can proceed, different tactics, things to watch out for etc. end of the day just try to think about what you do and how it will affect the longevity of the repair. if you have a big part that needs to be patched you can also use panel adhesive, no heat there to warp panels.
the reason I was quizzing you on weld through primer is because I have found it works great between parts getting welded or for a quick coating to preserve fresh bare steel where you will sand it off before continuing later. but not so much on the parts that will eventually get epoxied over the weld through and then painted later. I find it comes off easy when rubbed against etc and especially if it is a thick coat. it is usually zinc or copper based so it could also be an issue with paint sticking to it. basically like cold galvanizing. wouldn't want to see all that work done and then you blow paint off at the first car wash. if in doubt check at the local autobody paint supplier or online.
another quick pointer would be to use your mig wire cutters all the time to cut the end off the mig wire after each use. this gives you a nice chisel tip to scratch through the primer and also starts the weld process clean with less spatter and contaminants. especially if welding through a hole, like spot welding with the mig.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote